19 February 2013

Generous

When George and I started planning for our dragon baby, we didn't think about presents.  During the pregnancy, I bought Drakeson a pumpkin hat and a package of white socks.  Little did we know, I could have held off.  At one month in, we've written no fewer than 45 thank-you notes, most of which address multiple gifts.  Add a few sources of hand-me-downs in perfect condition, and we've easily accumulated thousands of dollars of spectacular baby gear: clothing, dishes, electronics, towels, toys, etc.  And let's not leave out the food and visits we've had the pleasure to receive.  We've given away an extra tummy time gym, and sling carrier, and exersaucer because we had duplicates.  We have a (new) hamper that's filled with blankets that won't fit in our extra blanket drawer.  In fact, we've been receiving gift cards due to the fact that we have everything.
Then my friend (Drakeson's girlfriend) and her husband came to visit from France.  Of course, she had brought about ten onesies, a hat, mittens, booties, and two stuffed dragons for her boyfriend.  She and I have known each other for the past 25 years.  After a couple of days in our house, she asked me why I don't have a rocking chair.  As it turns out, Drakeson already liked being bounced on the exercise ball, rocked in his vibrating chair, and swung in his electric swing.  I wasn't sure we needed another piece of furniture just to move him around.  Gliders are wonderful to use, but they're big and bulky.  Rocking chairs are pretty, but don't look very comfortable.  There was only one rocker I was interested in, but I could get a nice glider for half the price, so I didn't commit to it.  I was thinking about letting Drakeson's girlfriend talk me into buying it, when she and her husband did a crazy thing - they bought it behind my back.  With the matching ottoman.
George and I are overwhelmed by everyone's generosity.  With how spoiled Drakeson is, you would think only a few special humans started out as babies.  So to everyone in our lives, whether you have sent a card, dropped by for a visit, or bought us a rocking chair, thank you for your interest in our little Drakeson.  And don't worry; we won't expect a thing for our second baby.  We already have everything anyway.


1 comment:

  1. I agree. Who wants to be lost in a huge chair? I'll carry you in my arms in April.

    ReplyDelete