30 November 2015

Placenta

When I was pregnant with Drakeson, I was curious about my placenta.  I didn't know if I necessarily wanted to eat it or turn it into pills, but I definitely wanted to see it, and I definitely wanted a print.  I had been listening to the "Rainbow Relaxation" meditation from my Hypnobirthing class every night, and I envisioned making a rainbow print of the placenta.  Somehow.  Then I could turn it into a jigsaw puzzle and hang it up on our walls with all our other puzzles, and everybody would know how cool I am.
Needless to say, George thought that was pretty weird.  The hospital did too.  When all was said and done, the idea of fighting my husband and filling out a ton of paperwork really outweighed the idea of my stupid rainbow placenta print.
Then I got pregnant with Millicent, and my doula asked me if I wanted a print.  I was at a birthing center, and nobody thought I was being weird.  With no real discussion, George took me to the craft store to pick out the paper.  He made the placenta print himself - in fact, he made six - and pretended not to remember that he was ever against the idea.
Original Prints 

And then today, I finally made my super cool rainbow jellyfish placenta print puzzle.
Rainbow Jellyfish Puzzle, 1008 Pieces

2 comments:

  1. How did you turn the print into the jellyfish image? This is what I want to do for my little girl's room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a photo editing program called gimp. I can't remember if I made the blue gradation myself, but I used the program to color each of the jellyfish and put light rays into the image. Looking back on this, I think I could do a better job now! I don't like all the black I left in the jellyfish :)

      Delete