10 September 2020

Rings II

 

In July of 2016, we were young and in love and bought wedding rings. Of course I lost mine right away. Here we are four years later, ordering from the same jeweler and messing everything up. I have recently learned a few things. First, thicker rings should be ordered in larger sizes, which makes sense. There's a tool to measure ring sizes, and it's called a mandrel, and that makes sense too. Different jewelers use differently sized mandrels, and that is downright preposterous. This is to say nothing of the fact that the UK, France, Germany, Japan, and Switzerland all have their own unique measurement systems.

But before I learned those things, we printed out some charts and made some measurements and ordered our rings and got it dead wrong. Kay Jewelers very kindly measured George at a 9.5 and me at a 5.25. Our jeweler only produces rings in half sizes, and due to our insecurities concerning the world of unstandardized mandrels, we resized our orders to a 5.5 and a 10.  It worked.  "But why would I care?" you may ask. You most certainly should not. But I will lose my ring again and wonder what sizes we are if I haven't given up on having a wedding ring, and then this information will be right here in my trusty memoirs.
Blue topaz (George December), peridot (Lan August), garnet (Drakeson January), and opal (Milli October) represent the four of us, and of course, L&G is still engraved inside. Let's see if I can make it another four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment