05 February 2023

The Year of Sweeney Todd

Back in June, I published a musical analysis of Sweeney Todd because Austin Opera was going to put on a production in over half a year, and I had to prepare my family for what was to come.  And come it did - that day was today!  We were at the Long Center, with a party of eight right in the middle of orchestra row C, in a sold out show.  Sweeney Todd sold more tickets than any show in Austin Opera's history.  Needless to say, we were ever so close to all the make-up and spit and glory, and I had a marvelous time.  Marvelous!!!  I'm not sure if you can tell, but I'm fairly giddy as I type this.  Johanna's voice was lush and rich - not shrill as usual.  Pirelli's accents were so perfectly over the top, Beadle was hilarious in both Parlour Songs, and not to undermine his vocals, but Tobias was an absolute cutie pie.  Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett were excellent too, of course.  I've been in love with this show for over 20 years, and today was the first time that all the lines in "A Little Priest" were truly funny.  Some lines like "shepherd's pie" and "with is extra" are always funny, but this time it was all of them.

Fifteen years from now I don't want to wonder who played what, so I'll jot that down real quick.
    Austin Opera Orchestra Conductor - Timothy Myers
    Director - Doug Scholz-Carlson
    Sweeney Todd - Kevin Burdette
    Mrs. Lovett - Mela Dailey
    Anthony - Mark Diamond
    Johanna - Raven McMillon
    Toby - Christian Sanders
    Judge Turpin - Ron Raines
    Beggar Woman - Zoie Reams
    Pirelli - Angel Romero
    Beadle Bamford - Bille Bruley
    24 piece chorus
    
This week, we also watched:
    Sweeney Todd: North American National Tour, Angela Lansbury, George Hearn 1982
    Sweeney Todd in Concert: San Francisco Symphony, Patti LuPone, George Hearn 2001
    Sweeney Todd in Concert: New York Philharmonic, Emma Thompson, Bryn Terfel 2014

Apparently, these other productions have also been filmed, but I haven't been able to get my grubby little hands on them:
    Royal National Theater BBC 1994
    Barcelona Cast 1995
    Opera North BBC 1998
    Opera House BBC 2003

That's okay, though, because now I know what to ask Liên for my birthday for the next four years.  And if you don't think I'm crazy already, I'll be seeing Annaleigh Ashford and Josh Groban in Sweeney Todd on Broadway this April.  George and I are flying out to New York.

The point of this post, though, was to post pictures from our Sweeney Todd lunch party!!!  Malinda and Ripley came over to join the rest of us, and we ate a bunch of people.  When I remember this fondly, like in 30 years or maybe tomorrow, I hope I'll be thinking, "God, that's good that is de have you Licious ever tasted smell such Oh my God what perfect more that's Pies such flavor God, that's good!!"
Priest & Turpin

Fop & Beadle

I know - why don't you tell Mrs. Lovett I said to give you a nice big tot of gin?
Gin, sir?!  Thanking you kindly, sir!  You're a Christian indeed!
(6 Bees Knees: gin, lemon, & honey syrup)

Right you are, sir.  Would you like a drop of ale?

512 Nut Brown

Boddington's Pub Ale

Lovett & Toby

No comments:

Post a Comment