03 August 2024

Baking Post Links

I don't really know how I "got into baking," but because I like to write about the things I'm thinking about, my blog documented it all for me.

First, I love the fall, so I started making lots of pumpkin bread and wanted to line a pan.
How to Line a Bread Pan (29 Sep 2019)

Then I wanted to make checkerboard cake because nobody does that anymore, and I found a math problem.
Checkerboard Cake Volume Ratios (12 Oct 2019)

Then half a year later we went to Buc-ee's, and George spent too much money on fudge.
So I decided to learn how to make fudge, and it was tricky.
Chocolate Fudge (16 Mar 2020)

Then my son wanted sugar cookies for his 7th birthday, and I made some, and they "failed to meet expectations." So when my daughter wanted sugar cookies the same year for her 5th birthday, I had to do some research.
Royal Icing (09 Oct 2020)

Then I decided I didn't know enough to follow The Great British Bake Off, so I wrote a little series.
The Six Buttercreams 1/4 (20 Jan 2021)
More Frostings and Fillings 2/4 (23 Jan 2021)
How to Frost a Layered Cake: Intermission (31 Jan 2021)
Cakes 3/4 (09 Feb 2021)
Pastry 4/4 (09 Feb 2021)

Then I bought a piping tip set, probably just because google spies on us and advertised it or something like that, and I didn't know how to use it.
Wilton's 55 Piece Piping Tip Set (21 Jul 2021)

Then a couple weeks later on August 5th, I made the birthday cake for my friend, and that became the first post here, #LanLovett: The Beginning.

Those all seemed like pretty normal things to do, right? Like, they weren't working towards a goal, I don't think, so maybe it's all in the piping tip set. Maybe if you buy one and want to know how to use it, you might make your friend a birthday cake and accidentally open up a home bakery the next month, especially if you like watching The Great British Bake Off.




That's where this post ended; it was originally posted on Wix on 07 Sep 2022.
I would also write up a Sugar Cookie post and another Frosting post.

By September, I had opened my Wix site, Facebook, Instagram, and Venmo page.
In May, I became "the cookie lady" for the Blue Genie Art Bazaar's May Market.
Yesterday, I received a notification that my Texas Food Handler's Certificate will expire soon.  It would only cost me $5 to renew it for another 3 years, but I'm on the fence.  This could be the end of the bakehouse (Aug 2024).
Meanwhile, my 2024 self would like to add one more thing.  I think my interest in baking ultimately came down to the tradition of making pumpkin pies with Dr. Betty Mallard.  Making pie crust is not easy, and I found that once I was able to make a pie I liked, I felt like I could do anything.  Drakeson is entering middle school in less than two weeks, and I'm feeling like giving up one of my hobbies would be better for our schedule.  Food handler's certificate or not, I'm making Nesselrode Pie this year with my friend Phara in November - the only month that Central Market carries fresh chestnuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment