24 August 2026

Schlitterbahn Tips

Yesterday, we went to Schlitterbahn for my birthday.  We've been several times before, but so many things went right that I wanted to write them down.

Shoes
I've done this with bare feet, sandals/crocs, aqua socks, and old sneakers with no socks.  The best is any shoe that stays on your foot no matter what, which means sandals with straps around the ankle, aqua socks, or sneakers.  Sandals give you another surface to sunscreen, so the the two options are better.  Aqua socks can get pretty beat up from the wear and tear, so an old pair of sneakers with a netted top is the most practical bet.

Swim Bottoms
My newest pair of swim bottoms have a camel toe seam, so I decided to wear a well-constructed pair of period underwear under them.  The double layer was an accident, and I never want to go back.  Nothing rides up, nothing goes out of place as you get thrown down Whitewater, and you just don't worry about it.  Wedgie free.

Swim Tops
Another accident - one of the rash guards on sale this year was long sleeved and hooded.  I bought it without thinking too much about the hood, but I will from now on.  No hat to lose, and no sunscreen on the neck.  Hair has to be down in pigtails so the hood stays up easily.  Any comfortable bikini top underneath, and you're good to go.

Croakies
Sunglasses are a must, and they also get thrown off your face.  Floating croakies, tightened, are the way to go; my sunglasses never came off, but more importantly, I wasn't worried about it.

Waterproof Phone Carrier
We've known this was a necessity for years.

Cooler
This year, we had some topo chicos, sandwiches, and berries.  It was perfect - not too heavy, not too messy, and not too much.  Sunscreen in the cooler to reapply, and finish your topo chico before heading back out.

Towels
Bring them and leave them in the car.

Timing
This was the first year we went on a Sunday, and after a full week of school had passed.  The hours were shorter, but the crowds were far more manageable.  Worth it.  Arrive 15-25 mins before the park opens.

Fastlane
Yes, but no need to buy the fancy one.  The cheaper 1-pass-per-ride is much better; no need to use it at the beginning or the end of the day.  Never ride Wolfpack; it has no fastlane, and the line doesn't move.

I hope my little leech always wants to ride with Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment