04 April 2011

1810-1849

"As this earth will suffocate me, I implore you to have my body opened so that I will not be buried alive."

Do you recognize the dates or very reasonable request of Frédéric Chopin?  I was probably about 14 when I realized that I enjoy what people unaffectionately refer to as "Classical Music," and it is to Chopin that I owe this opinion.  My loving teacher Betty Reed gave me a little volume called, "At the Piano With Chopin," and I immediately brought the cover into my art class to scratch his face into a piece of black coated paper with a knife.  Later, I realized that a photograph of him does exist, and that it bears no resemblance whatsoever to his other portraits.  Normally this would mortify me, but as I didn't have very many friends in high school, nobody really took notice.  Close one.

Back in the day, compact discs were just taking over tapes, and my mother bought me one of my first prized possessions - the box set of Rubinstein playing Chopin.  I listened to the waltzes particularly.  This waltz is from the very same book bearing a terribly inaccurate drawing on its cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment