29 April 2011

Bionic

BI ON IC
 - adjective
[1]  Utilizing electronic devices and mechanical parts to assist humans in performing difficult, dangerous, or intricate tasks, as by supplementing or duplicating parts of the body.
[2]  Having anatomical structures or physiological processes that are replaced or enhanced by electronic or mechanical components.
dictionary.com

On Wednesday April 27th at 13:45 in the afternoon, the lens containing a growing cataract in my right eye was chewed up, vacuumed out, and replaced by something called acrylic foldable iol (intraocular lens).  At ages 49 and 50, my dad was considered pretty young for cataract surgery.  I hold the record for being the youngest cataract patient my three anesthesiologists had ever seen.

My favorite part of the surgery was the doctor.  Doctors typically intimidate me, but Dr. Yen Dang Nieman is wonderful.  I like her because she's pretty and Vietnamese like my mom.  George probably likes her because she's a highly reputable surgeon.  The worst part of the entire affair was the brightness.  I felt "pressure" 3 times during the surgery, but that was nothing compared to the eye being dilated, taped open, and flooded with lights.  I saw bright blue and pink for most of the time, with a brief episode of white-lined muddy brown waves.  Really neat.

The next day, I was trying to help some little girls read piano music when I noticed blurry white areas in the right and lower periphery.  Immediately, I ran off to Dr. Nieman again, fearing the worst.  She dilated the eye, looked in, and explained that my collapsing vitreous was tugging on my retina.  So for everybody besides George or Liên, this means that there are pieces of gel inside my eyeball trying to pull out something very important.  Apparently, as long as I see "flashes," I needn't be alarmed.  However, the moment "floaters" appear, all hell breaks loose.

Right now my eyeball feels like a jellyfish, but every cloud has its silver lining.






No comments:

Post a Comment