14 April 2019

Alli's Wedding

Alli's wedding was perfect.
Our suite, shared with my sister at the Hampton at Lincolnshire, was just a few minutes from the wedding at Chevy Chase Golf Course.  The venues were impressive.  Alli, who looked like a 5'11" half-Vietnamese Disney princess with 3-inch heels and perfect make-up, came down the aisle with her trying-not-to-cry face, which made all of us try not to cry.  Scott had trouble repeating everything the officiant said, so Alli said, "I got this" before her vows.  How adorable is she?
Neither Liên nor I had ever walked onto a wedding reception dance floor before, but Drakeson changed all of that.  I told him I couldn't go out there because I didn't know any dance moves, and he corrected me; I had just learned one.  You see, Drakeson had watched Liên teach me her newest tap move, crazy feet, the night before.  After I told him I would try, he said, "Now add the clapping."  I thought nothing could get me onto a dance floor, but a practice assignment by my son, my sister as a dance partner, and a couple of mimosas did the trick.
April 14th is not only the anniversary of Alli and Scott, but of Scott's parents and grandparents as well.  With so much magic in the air, springtime in Chicago presented a surprise snow storm.  Five inches fell, converting the grounds into a winter wonderland and delaying our return to Austin by 36 hours.  That's enough hours to require twice the rental car price, two additional nights at hotels, two days of missed school, and one missed swim practice.  After the initial panic, however, several silver linings were in store.
The "13123 group," as Dad so affectionately calls us, played board games and ate Potbelly with wine on Sunday night.  We Austinites were extra lucky, and spent all of Monday morning chatting and having breakfast with superstar princess bride Alli.  Monday afternoon was at Cô Mai's house with homemade Vietnamese food and exploring the beautiful Lake Arlington Park.  We drove back to Midway and checked into another Hilton for a little pool time, a real Chicago deep dish pizza, and a well deserved night of rest.
I started this post with a recap of Alli's wedding, because that was the point of this trip.  But Saturday, the day before the wedding, was worth remembering.  Tins, Bill, George, and I shared a couple Dragon's Milk bourbon barrel-aged stouts before starting the day, and I've since made it my personal mission to try the entire Dragon's Milk line.  Mom and Dad took care of the kids and even brought them to the rehearsal dinner while George and I walked around downtown Chicago.  For the first time in my life, I ordered a drink at a bar.  The bartender at Miller's Pub told me they were out of O'Hara's Irish stout, and recommended the Edmund Fitzgerald porter, which went a long way for a little lady who had Dragon's Milk for breakfast.  We met my dear friends Sarah and Miriam as well as BLT at the Himalayan, enjoyed a decadent and leisurely dinner, and took the city in before seeing the American Ballet Theatre's performance of Whipped Cream.  We had box tickets at the ornate Auditorium Theatre, which was built in 1889.  There is so much to say about the show that it's almost impossible to start, but suffice it to say that the costumes and set were so spectacular that tears ran down my face.
What an incredible trip.  What a great family I have.  Alli, I wish you a lifetime of happiness, and I am so proud to be your cousin.  I love you and admire you more than you know.

Cousins

Drakeson & Alli

Milli & Alli

Snow

Hair

Family

Hawaiians in Snow

Daughters

Sisters

Ladies

Crazy Feet

No comments:

Post a Comment