13 July 2019

Toothless the Tesla

Our first Toothless the Tesla came to us October of 2018 and left us last night.  For nine months we were driving the car that would save our lives.

Yesterday, we left our home at 16:35 to meet our friends, Becca, Dan, and Tadele, for dinner at Pieous at 166 Hargraves Dr., 78737.  Fifteen minutes later, we were waiting in the lefthand lane on 290 West in the Oak Hill traffic.  That's the red pin.


The light changed and we started to move.  We were only going about 10 mph when we were rear ended by a driver going 65.  We did not hear brakes.  There were no skidmarks on the road.  The impact was so sudden and so forceful that I had a hard time processing what had just happened.  George asked the kids if they were okay as I stared blankly ahead.  I remember seeing and smelling smoke near my feet in the passengers seat.  Our seatbelts were locked down tight.  The lid for the trunk had been blown wide open.

George told me to call our friends and cancel.  I followed his instructions, but I was still in a panic and a daze.  I have no memory of this, but George pulled over to the left shoulder.
Toothless called Tesla.  George called 911.  Tesla called George.  George called Geico.

I stared at Drakeson and Milli, who were sitting calmly, practically perfect in every way.  I asked them if they were okay.  They were.  I looked around.  I asked them if they were okay again.  The kids are responsible for buckling themselves in, and as always, they had.  Minutes passed and I started crying from relief.  They were okay.  They really were okay.  They didn't understand why I was crying.

16:52, just minutes after the hit.  Notice the other license plate in the lower righthand corner.

Close Up, Tesla Model 3

Drakeson was strapped in too tight.  I unbuckled him and tried to reset the seatbelt, but it remained locked down.  I moved him into the middle seat next to Milli and told them that our seatbelts had saved us from serious injuries or death.  They seemed to understand.  Drakeson read books to Milli, the both of them sweating in the heat with absolutely no complaints.

 17:12

I have no memory of this, but at some point, the police arrived and pushed the other car onto the left shoulder as well.  The driver had blood on her teeth from her airbag and a bruise from her seatbelt.  She was driving alone, and she was going to be okay.  She was extremely sorry.  I wasn't mad, and I also didn't care if she was sorry.  I asked her what happened.  She said she took her eyes off the road for a second.  I didn't understand and I didn't pretend to empathize.  I told her that my children were safe because that was all I cared about.


George was handling everything with Geico.  Toothless' frame was so busted that it was a struggle to retrieve papers from the glove box, but I talked to anybody who needed information, and ended up giving a lot of numbers to officers.  I talked with people about damaged carseats and blood clots.  I arranged for a ride back home.  I sent pictures and texts to my closest friends and family.  Tow trucks arrived.  Somebody asked me, "Before today, how did you like your Tesla?"  I answered, "I have never liked our Tesla more than I do today."

We transferred Drakeson and Milli to the air conditioned cabin and the tow truck driver let them watch Incredibles 2 on his phone.

17:42

 Getting Ready to be Towed

 Nissan Altima

 Side View

When all was said and done, we have the headache of acquiring a rental car, getting our Toothless back, and dealing with insurance.  George and I have stiff necks and bruising from our seatbelts, but that's nothing that won't heal quickly.  We went home to two bottles of Prosecco and a pizza dinner with some of our best friends.  Our kids know how important seatbelts are.

As for the lady who took her eyes off the road for a second, I doubt her future is so bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment