02 September 2019

LASIK Timeline

On December 25, 2017, George told me that one of my Christmas presents would be Lasik surgery.  It was something I had been wanting for a long time.

On February 2nd, 2018, we went to a consultation with Dr. Marilyn McCluskey, who gave us the green light to meet with Dell Laser Consultants.

On February 28, 2018, I met with Dr. Derek Cunningham at Dell Laser Consultants for another consultation.  I did not care for him in the least.  He's arrogant and vague like a salesman.  At another check up, I met Dr. Nabila Gomez.  She's professional, comforting, thorough, easy to understand, and smart.  I immediately requested that I only see her moving forward, but they didn't always honor that request.

On April 10, 2018, I met with Dr. Steven Dell, who removed the capsule in my right eye, which had become cloudy from my cataract surgery* on April 27, 2011 with Dr. Yen Dang Nieman.  I believe this was a Yag laser capsulotomy, and it was very helpful.  To my shock, a daytime cloudiness around all objects was immediately removed.

On April 26, 2018 I had LASIK on both eyes with Dr. Steven Dell.  My left eye, which had no cataract issues, was completely corrected within the hour, and my right was not.

Throughout the next several months, I had measurements taken and retaken, a silicone punctal plug inserted into my right eye duct, and a $400 monthly prescription for Xiidra eyedrops.  All in all, these efforts didn't change anything.

On January 31, 2019, I had another enhancement surgery on my right eye.  It didn't really help, but I'm glad they tried.

On August 7, 2019 I had my last appointment with Dell Laser Consultants.  Unfortunately, I had to meet with Dr. Cunningham.  Lasered eyeball roll.
He said my eyes were perfect and I should take Xiidra for the rest of my life because it's a "no-brainer."  He's the absolute worst.  I ignored the Xiidra part and told him that my eyes definitely weren't perfect.  He casually opened my file and admitted that I, like 30% of all people, have a "nocturnal shift" so I may need a prescription only at night.  A few points on that: making up statistics does not make you seem smart; if my test results show that I have a nocturnal shift, I would have liked to know about that without asking; I'm sure I've always tested better in lower lighting because there was less light to scatter about, so I don't see where this conclusion came from; I've since tried to research nocturnal shift eye prescriptions and come up with nothing so I'm pretty sure he doesn't know anything about his job.  Anyway, at some point earlier in the year, he also said that my cataract surgery had been done poorly, and any issues I ever have will be due to that.  There's a Netflix TV show called "The Good Place" which portrays Adam Scott as a "diabolical, sadistic agent of evil" which is presented as a totally hatable character that's a lot like Derek Cunningham.

In sum, I am happy with all of my eye surgeries.  They have all helped me to see a lot better.  My vision isn't perfect, but I don't need glasses to comfortably make my usual drives, read piano music, or write this post.  If my last appointment had been with Dr. Gomez, I would have the same eyes and a much better attitude towards Dell Laser Consultants, and until Derek Cunningham gets fired, I can't really give them a glowing review.  They did manage to do a difficult job very well, and assuming you don't have plastic lenses implanted in your eyeballs already, your situation would probably go a lot smoother than mine.

*Lens Info
Company Alcon Laboratories
Material AcrySof Acrylic Foldable IOL
Model SA60AT
Power 17.5 D
Length 13.0 mm
Optic 6.0 mm
SN: 10834693078

No comments:

Post a Comment