10 March 2011

Is It Yours?

Grandma is a church pianist who plays by ear.  It's not that she can't read music, though.  Her idea of a good time is to play through the Well Tempered but transpose the Preludes and Fugues to - well - whatever she feels like.  "This is J. S. Bach's Prelude and Fugue in C minor.  In F minor."

I don't play by ear as well as I read, so I have arrangements for my church job.  They used to sit around in the sanctuary, but now I keep a few at home so I can call and play melodies we both know.  The other night I played, "Fairest Lord Jesus."  She replied with, "Is it yours?"  Surely she knows I don't spend my time coming up with hymn arrangements when I can buy a dozen that are better written for 10 bucks.  In other words, 4 arrangements would probably cost me 4 hours of my life or the price of a latte.  I think she just likes to be reassured that she's the only one in the family who holds that spot.  Take it, grandma.  I'll make a doppio with one percent at home this week.  This one is arranged by Melody Bober.

Also, that strikingly handsome man is my husband.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10/3/11 22:36

    such a sweet angel; and so thrifty, too

    ReplyDelete